[Official Press Release Statement]
SkullBat Studio is excited to announce our first game - Rephaim: The Shattered City for PC/Mac/Linux. As we move into the alpha phase of development, we are launching a Kickstarter campaign for additional funding to stretch out our production window and complete the game with the content volume and level of polish we had originally envisioned.
KickStarter Link: https://goo.gl/m7zf6h
Rephaim is a 2D adventure platformer with light RPG elements, inspired by NES and Master System classics. A grim-fantasy set in a fictionalized bronze-age Mesopotamia, it provides an original twist on themes and aesthetics from both ancient mythology and genre classics.
Play as the Mother of Exiles and explore the sprawling lost capital of Rephaim to discover the true history of your accursed people. Overcome monstrous horrors and uncover dark truths about your ancestors, as you come to find the fate of all creation rests on your shoulders.
- Explore non-linear, interconnected environments which allow for sequence breaking and discovering your own path.
- Classic 2D platforming with a variety of traversal abilities. Enhance and master these abilities to fluidly evade gauntlets of deadly traps and hazards.
- Fast paced and deliberate combat balances strategy and skill for a real challenge. Learn enemy tells and patterns to dodge their attacks and exploit their weaknesses.
- Gather ancient artifacts, powerful spells and equipment to aid in your quest. Discover unique weapons, armor, trinkets and shields; each with their own storied history.
- Gain strength by consuming the residue of your ancestors' great power, or rebuke their legacy for a more harrowing journey.
- An isolated heroine and a story told in fragments. With a brief exposition, the game's story will reveal itself through environmental storytelling, and the bestiary and artifact entries in our heroine's journal.
- "8-bitish" art combines low resolution with full color depth and high quality animation for a bright punch to a retro aesthetic.
- An original soundtrack combining chip, synth and live instruments for a unique sound.
About SkullBat Studio:
After working at big publishers for nearly a decade, Jeff Hawkins and Lacey Canton decided to cash in their life savings and start their own two-person studio. With the help of composer Rob Quillen, we are expecting that Rephaim will be the first of many titles that we’ll be releasing in the years to come.