After wrapping up our heroine's final attack and casting animations on Monday, we're moving on to implementation.
We put off our redone tileset implementation while we worked on wrapping up her animation, so we're now working on implementing both. We had to add a few tile variations after some unexpected shape combinations came up around our stairs and slopes, but we're now well on our way to getting our level editor tools back to where they were for the KickStarter build.
With some of our basic level editor tools done, we're taking a step away from wrapping up the rest of our tools while we look at reexamining the way we handled physics and collision. In our KickStarter build the physics were functional and bug free but... inefficient. Not to get too in the weeds, but due to excessive ray-casting and overlap checks we ran into some surprising performance issues when large numbers of fast moving entities were in a scene together. On most machines it wouldn't have been a problem, but the CPU usage was inexcusable for a game like this. We eventually decided that it would have forced us to limit the number of active entities in a way that would have negatively impacted level design.
The crux of the problem is that we were trying to work around certain issues and blind spots we saw in Unity's 2D physics engine. We did this by writing our own physics that sat next to Unity's and replaced them. The biggest problem we had with Unity 2D was that our actors were stuttering when moving across tiled collision, but they were also sliding down slopes when idle or grinding slowly up them when moving. All attempts to use physics materials and rigidbody settings to address these were unsuccessful. The "realness" of their gravity also presented a major burr in getting our jump curves where we wanted.
We've been mulling this change since before the campaign, so we have a strong idea on how to proceed. However, to be bluntly honest, in terms of time cost this is the biggest unknown of our entire rebuild. It will likely present unforeseen issues because it touches almost every aspect of gameplay and enemy behavior, and we can't work on implementing anything else until this change is squared away.
Jeff may be going dark for some time getting this taken care of, so hopefully next week Lacey will have some more level art done and ready to share!